Pre-tour learning aims
1. To communicate effectively in English in real life situations, especially when interacting with native English speakers in a foreign country.
To help me achieve the aim, I watched English movies with English subtitle only such as Salt and Inception before departure. This really brushed up my listening.
2. To identify the expressions used in different situations, e.g. when engaged in social situations, or official visits, when interviewing locals etc.
To help me achieve the aim, I learned some English phrases in different contexts from the Internet before going to Australia. For example, Aussie use “chips” to mean “French fries” and “mate” to mean “friend”. Moreover, I planed to interact with locals in Australia and observe how they use different expressions in different situations in their daily life.
3. To act appropriately when interacting with locals and the people you will meet when engaged in visits, data collection etc.
To help me achieve the aim, I learned about Australia culture like local Aussie etiquette, especially their taboo from the internet before departure. For example, it is rude to eat or drink on public transport and we should avoid showing off as Aussie prefer humble and modest. I also planed to observe how locals act in different contexts in Australia.
4. To describe some of the differences of the daily life habits / culture of the community / country of destination and those of Hong Kong and demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of the diversity of values of different cultures of different peoples/ countries.
To help me achieve the aim, I read about Australian culture before leaving Hong Kong. I also planed to observe how Aussie reacts with us in different contexts. Most importantly, we should always keep in mind that different cultures have different values and we should respect the differences.
No comments:
Post a Comment